Can I get a teaching certification in Alabama if I have an expunged felony in another state? 3 Answers as of April 11, 2011

I was arrested for a drug possession charge in Atlanta, GA, and the judge put my case on dead docket (not sure what this means exactly) and I completed a program to have my record expunged. I plan on getting a teaching degree and certification in Alabama now, and I'm wondering if this will show up on the background check and how it is going to affect me.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Richard Williams
Law Office of Richard Williams | Richard Williams
I would think that your charge resulted in a non-adjudication resolution. If so, there would be a record of an arrest but not a record for a conviction. If this is so, there should be no problem with attaining a teaching certificate. It would be best to go to the court where your cse was heard or resolved and get a copy of the record. An attorney would be able to better advise you if he had the record to look at and see how the court resolved the case.
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 4/11/2011
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
What program did you complete to get record expunged? Depending on what you are talking about, the arrest may appear or not.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 4/8/2011
Ferguson & Ferguson
Ferguson & Ferguson | Randy W. Ferguson
If it was expunged, it should not show up on a background check. You may want to check with Georgia and make sure it is completely gone off your record. You can hire a company to do a check on you to see if it comes up.
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 4/8/2011
Click to View More Answers: