Can I get tax deductions for dependent illegal citizens? 2 Answers as of March 17, 2011

I live in Georgia and have three small kids who were left with me by their parents last year when they were on their way to work they got caught working illegally and were deported I have been supporting them ever since then waiting on them to return cause they say they are coming back. I know that most people would have gave them to family and children services but I have a letter of temporary custody I got from them and Love them like they were my own. I have to claim them as expense on my taxes but how do I do this? They don't have Social Security numbers or anything they are under school age what do I do?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Masson & Fatini, LLP
Masson & Fatini, LLP | Susan Fatini -Masson
IN short, you cannot claim them as you do not meet one of the four requirements to claim a dependent as set forth by the IRS. As explained by the IRS, to be claimed as a qualifying child, the person must meet four criteria: (1) *Relationship* the person must be your child, step child, adopted child, foster child, brother or sister, or a descendant of one of these (for example, a grandchild or nephew); (2) *Residence*; (3) Age; and (4) Support. Unfortunately, you do not meet the first qualification.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/17/2011
Meyer & Yee, LLP
Meyer & Yee, LLP | Kent W. Meyer
They should count as dependents.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/3/2011
Click to View More Answers: