Can I get spousal support if I am on disability retirement? 16 Answers as of July 03, 2013

Is it possible to get spousal support if I am on disability retirement in my chosen degree?

Buselmeier Law & Associates, PA
Buselmeier Law & Associates, PA | Theodore W. Buselmeier
Yes, and sometimes more likely. The ability of a party to generate income is a factor in your favor. Spousal maintenance is very subjective and judge specific and several other factors must be analyzed.
How long have you been married and how much does your spouse earn?
The financial circumstances must be reviewed to determine whether the statutory criteria for spousal support are met and what effect spousal support may have on the disability award. As a general rule, courts may award spousal support when the paying party has the ability to pay and the recipient has a demonstrated need.
Yes, it might be possible, depending upon all the relevant facts in your case that relate to the issue of spousal support.
Law Offices of Paul A. Eads, A.P.C.
Law Offices of Paul A. Eads, A.P.C. | Paul A. Eads
    Maybe, depending on the facts. Discuss them with your lawyer (and you should have one).
    Spousal support is based on 5 key factors: length of the marriage, health history, earning capacity, age of the parties and standard of living during the marriage.
    Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A.
    Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A. | Joanna Mitchell
    If you have the need and he has the ability to pay, possibly, depending on multiple other factors.
    Your receipt of disability retirement income is only a part of the overall situation that will be examined to decide whether or not you should receive spousal support when the divorce is concluded. There are many important factors involved in comparing your "needs" with your spouse's "ability to pay" and there are no simple rules - every case stands on its own facts.
    It is possible.
    Law Office of Michael W. Bugni
    Law Office of Michael W. Bugni | Jay W. Neff
    It is possible. However, whether or not you will is another question. In deciding whether to grant maintenance (support), there are a number of factors that the court is supposed to consider. Some of those factors are: The ages of the parties, the duration of the marriage, each party's work history and ability to work, each party's education, each parties need for support and ability to pay support. There are other factors as well, but this should give you at least an idea of what goes into the decision.