Can I get sole custody if my husband rarely makes time to see his children? 1 Answers as of August 26, 2011

My ex-husband and I divorced in '09. He was ordered to pay 400 dollars a month for child support directly to me. His payments were scarce and I finally turned him in for it to the state of Florida. Now I haven't heard from him, he won't return my emails, calls, etc. He has also not seen the kids on a regular basis. At one time, he went four months without seeing them. Is there a way for me to get sole-custody instead of joint? I really don't believe he should be entitled to make decisions that effect the children's lives when he is so irresponsible. Thanks

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Michael D. Fluke, P.A.
Michael D. Fluke, P.A. | Michael D. Fluke
You may be able to get sole Parental Responsibility under these circumstances. You would have to file a Supplemental Petition to Modify Parental Responsibility in order to do this. I suggest you consult an experienced Family Law attorney to discuss your case in greater detail and learn all of your rights and options. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 8/26/2011
Click to View More Answers: