Can I get sole custody if I plan to move out of state? 1 Answers as of August 03, 2011

My son's dad and I recently split. I took care of him for two years. Everything was in my name and I paid all of the bills. I believe he quit his job after I put him out, but he is going to school. He has threatened to take our son away from me after he graduates and gets a job. I was told by our department of children and families that I had to file for child support since he was no longer in the household. He has no car or a job, only school. I work full time, five days a week. My son has anything that he could ever ask for. My mother is living with me, so she babysits him while I am at work. My ex rarely acknowledged our son when we were living together. He would play video games all day and would call out from work, making us late on bills. Would he win a custody case or would I? I do not mind visitation rights, but I would like sole custody as I want to relocate out of the states.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A.
Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A. | Joanna Mitchell
More information would need to be known in order to fully answer your question. For example, were you two ever married? Have you applied for child support? Has paternity ever been established? You should really talk with an experienced family law attorney who practices in the county where you reside in order to more fully discuss your potential rights and options. If your existing or potential case is in or near the Central Florida area (Orange, Seminole, Volusia, Lake, Sumter, Marion, and nearby counties), I would be more than happy to speak with you.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 8/3/2011
Click to View More Answers: