Can I get sole child custody of my daughter? 3 Answers as of April 27, 2011

I am 21 years old and have a 2 year old. i want to have sole custody of her written on paper. Me and Her father have issues. He doesn't help me with her. He doesn't pay child support, but I allow him to see her. He sometimes doesn't bring her at the time hes supposed to and he shows up at my house whenever he feels like it even after I tell him no. I'm a full time student receiving Cash AID & Financial AID, which is how I support her. I live with my parents who help very much with her but i pay for her expenses and rent as well. Now My Question is what are my chances of getting sole (Full) Legal custody? Since I Basically do everything for her.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of John C. Volz
Law Office of John C. Volz | John C. Volz
Each parent has an equal right to custody in the State of California. There are circumstances where a court would award you sole legal and physical custody, but they are rare. It does sound like you need to establish a set parenting plan with visitation schedule if your ex is showing up at your home unannounced. You should either seek the assistance of an attorney or check with your local courthouse to see if they offer self help workshops on custody and visitation.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/27/2011
Naziri Hanassab LLP
Naziri Hanassab LLP | Vahid Naziri
Sole legal custody is tough to get...remember, the courts look at what's in the best interest of the child...not what is convenient for you. Therefore, you would have to prove that he is an unfit father and should not have any say over his child, which is pretty hard to overcome.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/27/2011
Pisarra and Grist
Pisarra and Grist | David T. Pisarra
You don't say if there is a legal ground to deny him custody. Based on what you've written, there's no reason to take away his rights. Also you can read my book, A MAN'S GUIDE TO CHILD CUSTODY available on online and as an E-Book on my website.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/27/2011
Click to View More Answers: