Can I get a shoplifting felony dismissed after 7 years? 3 Answers as of August 10, 2011

I was arrested for shoplifting picutres that I had set my purse on and forgot. It was a Class C Felony. I went to buy a handgun and was denied because of this. Because of this on my record can I not but a handgun or vote? Can I get this dismissed it was 7 years ago and I have never been arrested before or since. I am 52 years old.

Law Office of Roianne H. Conner
Law Office of Roianne H. Conner | Roianne Houlton Conner
Alabama does not have an expungment statute. Therefore, you can not legally have criminal charges removed.
A felony conviction is a permanent record and cannot be expunged. There has been an expungement bill in the Alabama legislature but it has yet to pass. An expungement law would help you tremendously. You should be eligible for restoration of your civil rights. Upon your rights being reinstated it is possible that your gun rights could be returned to you. To start this process you need to file an application with the State Office of Pardons and Paroles (see blue pages for phone number and address) Good luck.