Can I get a settlement for a car accident that happened 10 years ago? 14 Answers as of March 08, 2013

I was in an auto accident about 10 years ago that was not my fault. I was wondering if I could get any money from the accident.

Durham Jones & Pinegar | Erven Nelson
No. There is a two year deadline after the accident occurred.
Simply put, no. If you have made no claim in the last 10 years you are probably precluded by the statute of limitations for making one now.
Wayne J. Wimer, Inc. P.S.
Wayne J. Wimer, Inc. P.S. | Wayne J. Wimer
The statute of limitations in Washington State for auto accidents is 3-years from the date of the accident. The statute does not run during the period of time that you were under age 18. If you were an adult 10 years ago, you have no cause of action against the defendant driver at this late date.
Law Offices of Mark West
Law Offices of Mark West | Mark West
If you failed to file suit before now, it is highly unlikely you would get any recovery.
No, the statute of limitations is only 4 years for auto accidents.
    Probably not. Every case has a Statute of Limitations. That means that failing to file suit before a certain time means that the case is gone forever. There are only 2 exceptions about which I know: 1) injury to someone under the age of adulthood, and 2) that the injured person is incompetent and unable to assist counsel. In both of those cases, the suit can be filed later than the Statute of Limitations.
    Sorry, too late.
    Graves Law Firm
    Graves Law Firm | Steve Graves
    You might still be able to pursue a 10 year-old Texas accident case if you turned 18 years of age less than two years ago. The statute of limitations doesnt run against you so long as you remain a minor.
    Curry, Roby & Mulvey Co., LLC
    Curry, Roby & Mulvey Co., LLC | Bruce A. Curry
    The normal statute of limitations is two years. If you were a minor at the time of the accident, then you would have until your twentieth birthday to file suit.
    The time to sue the other driver has long since come and gone. You had 2 years from the date of the accident to sue. The law wont let you sit on your rights forever.
    Robert Butwinick | Robert Butwinick
    In Minnesota, auto accident negligence claims have a statute of limitations of 6 years. That period can be extended if you were a minor at the time.
    Sarrail, Castillo & Hall, LLP | Monica Castillo
    Unless you were a minor at the time of the accident, the statute of limitations in California, for personal injury, is two years.
    No, 3 years is statute on personal injury and property damage claims.
    Law Office of Malosack Berjis
    Law Office of Malosack Berjis | Malosack Berjis
    In California, the statute of limitations, on personal injury cases, is two (2) years. However, there are exceptions. You would need to consult with a personal injury attorney to see if any of those exceptions, possibly, apply to your case.