Can I get a security deposit return on an uncompleted contract? Posted on April 21, 2011

My sister and I started a contract with a landlord (we both had realtors) for a 2 year lease on a condo. We went away to help someone out of state and my sister got sick and was hospitalized. We did not return to the state until earlier this week. Our Realtor contact their attorney because they want us to pay the realtor fee for a contract that has not been completed. We were delayed out of state and were told by the realtor that if we didn't get back ASAP there was another offer on the condo that the landlord was thinking of taking. We told them that they should take it and return our security deposit. They have not wanted to do that, even though we have not completed the contact. We have asked them that they re-write the lease for 1 year and start it later than originally (start on May 7) They have not responded nor have they returned our security depsit. What course of action can we take to get our $$ back so we can find another property?