Can I get residency if I was a J1 visa holder? 4 Answers as of February 25, 2011

I was a J1 visa holder for 2 years, then I became out of status for the last 5 years. Is there any law that based on the length of time I can get residency?

If you've been out of status for the last five years, you're subject to the 10 year bar.
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law | Theresa E. Tilton
You are asking for relief.
Unfortunately, there is no law that allows you to get legal status based on being in the U.S. for 5 years or more. Also, as a J1 holder, you ability to adjust or change your status could be negatively effected if subject to the 2 year foreign residency requirement, and because you are out of status.
You overstayed your visa to a large extent. Once you are caught, you will be deported. The only way out is a good faith marriage, which, in your case, will be under extreme scrutiny. Therefore, I don't suggest you to have false marriage. A person should never have fraudulent conduct whatsoever. But if you happen to have a spouse who is citizenship, if you contact us, we may help you.