Can I get a public defender for a reckless driving charge? 2 Answers as of May 20, 2011

Can I get a public defender for a reckless driving charge in the Parking Lot? I have no source of income, dependent on my husband whose source of income also less. NO personal Home. We just rent our house.

Law Office of Jonathan T. Sarre
Law Office of Jonathan T. Sarre | Jonathan T. Sarre
It sounds like you will qualify for a public defender. Typically, the court has a system in which they verify your income and they make the call about whether you qualify or not. Depending on how much your family actually earns, you may have to contribute some amount to help reimburse the state for the cost of your lawyer. That amount usually varies from $20.00 to $300 or so.
Law Office of Rankin Johnson IV, LLC
Law Office of Rankin Johnson IV, LLC | Rankin Johnson IV
If you are charged with a crime (meaning they might put you in jail), the court will appoint counsel for you. Someone, maybe the judge, will ask if you want an attorney, and there may be paperwork to fill out about your income. If the charges are reduced to a non-criminal infraction (meaning the worst they can do to you is impose a fine) then you are no longer entitled to court-appointed counsel.