Can I get proof of divorce after my husband abandoned me 20 years ago? 15 Answers as of April 18, 2011

23 years ago, my husband left me after 3 years of marriage. I ran into him a few years ago, and he told me he had filed for divorce. He told me he was remarried as well. I want to marry my boyfriend and have put it off for a few years because I do not know if I am officially divorced.

Yes, ask him for a copy of the divorce decree. At the very least, he should know where he filed and you can contact the clerk of the court in that county and find out.
I hope that you got your husband's (or possibly ex-husband's) telephone number or e-mail address. You should contact him and ask him where (in what state, county and court)he filed the divorce case, what its case number is, and you should ask him for a copy of the Judgment dissolving your marriage.

If you didn't get your husband's (or ex-husband's) contact information, you should do an internet search for him, and if you locate him, ask him the above questions. If you aren't able to locate him, hire a private investigator to try to locate him to ask him those questions, and if the investigator can't locate him, you could hire an investigator to search the divorce records in the state(s) and county (or counties) where you think the divorce took place - that may be an expensive venture. It would be difficult to find out whether or not you are divorced any other way.

If you can't determine whether or not you are divorced, and if you and your investigator can't locate your husband, you may need to file a divorce case and get him served via Publication.
Goldberg Jones
Goldberg Jones | Zephyr Hill
You need to know what court he filed in and then check to see if the Judgment of Divorce was complete.
Fox Law Firm LLC
Fox Law Firm LLC | Tina Fox
If you know what county he filed for divorce you can contact that county.
Yes, call the court clerk's office in the county where you reside. If not successful call the court clerk in the county where he resided back then. If you can locate your former Husband ask him for a copy of the papers. There is no central state archives in Maryland. You must search County by county.
    Check with the Domestic Relations clerk in the county of your marriage to see if there was a divorce filed. Stay well.
    If you were never served with a Petition, then you are likely not divorced. You can check with the County that the divorce was allegedly filed in (it is public record). Alternatively, you can file for divorce yourself. If you are in my area and are looking for an attorney, please contact me for a free consultation.
    Check the Maryland court system to see if he filed the divorce there, where you live. If not then he probably filed it where he now lives and you should check in that state's court system. If you have any further questions let us know. Good luck.
    Ask your ex-husband for a copy of the paperwork. If he won't or can't provide it to you, ask him what courthouse he filed the divorce papers. Then, call the court clerk of that courthouse and ask how to get copies of your divorce file (or simply go to the court clerk's office and request copies there).
    Law Office of Martin Blank
    Law Office of Martin Blank | Martin E. Blank
    You can check county records where you and your husband have lived. If he will not give you that information for himself, I would suspect something is not right. If you know where he is now, I guess you might be able to have the police check out his story on a suspected bigamy charge. If nothing else he would then have to prove the divorce. I know of no national record.
    Divorce records are maintained by the court adminstrator's office in the county where the divorce was filed. In Minnesota, you may be able to locate that court and the records online at http://www.mncourts.gov/publicaccess.
    I believe if you contact the Washington Department of Vital Statistics they will know whether you have been divorced. If they don't keep that information, they will know who does in Washington State. Good luck.