Can I get probation for embezzlement in California? 11 Answers as of December 15, 2010

I have an arraignment coming up for a felony embezzlement charges. I was sick when they came to arrest me in California so they issued me a citation to appear. The citation says it is a 20,000 bond. I have a bail bondsman lined up if I need him, I am 58 and have no record. Is is possible that I can get probation. I have a wife of 40 years and I am not in the best health.

Law Offices of Ryan P. Murphy
Law Offices of Ryan P. Murphy | Ryan P. Murphy
There are two types of probation. There is informal and formal probation. Generally speaking, informal probation is attached to misdemeanors and formal probation is attached to felony charges. With the right attorney, keeping you out of jail and reducing your charges to a misdemeanor would lead you into informal probation.

Should you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact my office at your earliest convenience.
Can you? Possibly. Will you? That is up to the DA, Judge and your attorney to negotiate as part of a plea bargain. Your attorney can raise all available defenses with whatever admissible and credible witnesses, evidence and facts are available for legal arguments for various suppression motions, plea bargaining or at trial. If you don't know how to do these things, then hire an attorney that does. If serious about doing so, feel free to contact me.
Yes it is possible. Get a good attorney like myself.
You need to hire an attorney to assist you. Without knowledge of the case it would be almost impossible to say what would be a likely outcome to a plea deal. Do yourself and your family a favor and sit down and discuss the case with a local criminal defense attorney.
I would make sure I come with a good lawyer who can (1) get a bail package together. ie support from relatives, neighbors, how long you have lived in whatever town this is, etc. You might get probation depending on how much money we are talking about. If you need a recommendation for a good lawyer call me.
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts | Andrew Stephen Roberts
    Anything is possible. You need an attorney to get you through this. This is a complicated and serious matter. Deals can possibly be made.
    Tomas M. Flores, Esq.
    Tomas M. Flores, Esq. | Tomas M. Flores
    Possible? Anything is possible. However, it sounds like you are more concerned about what is probable.

What county was the charge brought in? Some counties allow the judge to decide whether or not to grant probation. Like all criminal cases, the facts of the case will determine the probable outcomes. If you have more questions, feel free to call my office.
    Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan
    Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan | Geoffrey M. Yaryan
    Yes, of course, you can get probation and probably will if you have no criminal record. That said, you could get as a condition of probation some time in custody.
    Since it is a felony, there will not be probation (only parole once you are released) unless your attorney successfully knocks the charge down to a misdemeanor.