Can I get a probation extension on my California DUI? 10 Answers as of December 15, 2010

I pleaded no contest to a wet reckless in Los Angeles, California in April 2010. I was required to complete an alcohol program by October 2010. I began the alcohol program but did not have enough time to complete it before leaving California for graduate school in the United Kingdom. The alcohol education center gave me a 24-month leave of absence from August 2010. I went to court and got an extension on my probation until February 2011. I have been in the UK studying since September 2010, and I need another extension on the probation requirements. Will I have to return to California and see the judge in person, or can an attorney request and obtain the extension on my behalf?

You can hire an attorney to make an appearance for you, and if you have good cause sufficient to convince a judge, then you should be able to get additional reasonable time. That wont mean years, so you are going to have to make a serious proposal to the court. If serious about doing so, and if the court is in Southern California, feel free to contact me.
You can hire an attorney.
Law Offices of Ryan P. Murphy
Law Offices of Ryan P. Murphy | Ryan P. Murphy
The right attorney can request and obtain the extension on your behalf.

Should you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact my office at your earliest convenience.
Law Offices of Ramona Hallam
Law Offices of Ramona Hallam | Ramona Hallam
An attorney can appear and request an extension. You should probably provide proof to the attorney re your current enrollment in school.
You can hire an attorney to request the extension on your behalf. It may even be possible for that attorney to get the court to agree to a program you can take in the UK or eliminate the program entirely from your terms of your probation.
    Since it is a misdemeanor, an attorney can appear on your behalf without you being present. However, the Judge may deny your request and order you to be present on another occasion. Consult an experienced DUI attorney.
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts | Andrew Stephen Roberts
    An attorney can do this for you. Provide proof of your studies in the UK. Do not wait until the last minute. The sooner the attorney can go to court, the better.
    Law Offices of Jack N. Whitaker
    Law Offices of Jack N. Whitaker | Jack Nathan Whitaker
    An attorney should be able to handle it for you.
    The Law Offices of Christopher J. McCann
    The Law Offices of Christopher J. McCann | Christopher J. McCann
    No you would not need to return. An attorney could request this for you. The judge does not have to grant it however.
    Robert Mortland
    Robert Mortland | Law Office of Robert Mortland
    In most counties, an attorney can go to court on your behalf for a misdemeanor DUI matter pursuant to penal code section 977. Feel free to contact my office if you have any more specific questions.