Can I get a possession of meth charge expunged? 8 Answers as of June 28, 2011

I was arrested on 2008 for a night for being uder the influence of meth, I was given classes by the court that I had to attend and I finish that and paid the court. Im now looking for a job and I dont know if is showing on my record? Is there a way to remove this? I now been sober for 2 years and will like to get better jobs. Please help me

You need to schedule an appointment with a certified criminal law specialist to advise you on your options given your precise legal situation.
The general rule is: Records are forever. However, you can consider getting the conviction expunged; it would help in obtaining and keeping employment. Many felony and misdemeanor convictions [not infractions] can sometimes be 'expunged' from criminal records by proper application and Petition to the court, but only if there was no prison time sentenced whether served or not, and if it was not for certain sex and Domestic Violence crimes, and if all terms of sentencing and at least one year of probation are completed, and if there are no new charges pending. If successful, the conviction would be retroactively reduced to a misdemeanor, if necessary, and then withdrawn and the charges dismissed. That does not 'remove' the conviction, but merely changes the record to show 'conviction reversed and dismissed by expungement'. When applying for a job in the private sector, you generally do not have to disclose a conviction if it was expunged. However, the conviction is still a 'prior' or 'strike' for purposes of repeat offense, and must be disclosed on any application for government and professional employment and licensing, bonding, security clearance, etc. The licensing agency and employer then can decide whether you are barred from licensing or employment because of the conviction. If youre serious about doing this, and you think you qualify under those rules, feel free to contact me for the legal help you'll need.
It sounds as if you were placed in a deferred entry of judgment drug treatment program. That lasts a minimum of 18 months to a maximum of 36 months. If you are still clean and have had no significant law violations [speeding and tffic tickets do not count], you could speak to the probation officer about terminating. If he/she does not agree, set a court date and ask the judge. You will probably need an attorney to help you with this. If the drug treatment program was a prop 36, you will need to see an attorney.
Contact an attorney. The attorney should get your record clean.
Law Office of Marc K. Herbert
Law Office of Marc K. Herbert | Marc K. Herbert
Were the "classes" part of a Prop 36 or DEJ program? If yes, the case should have been dismissed. If not, you can file a Petition for Dismissal on this case. If the case was a felony, you should petition to have the felony reduced to a misdemeanor, then dismiss the misdemeanor. If you have other questions, please call my office.
    Yes, as long as you successfully completed probation and are currently not on probation for anything else. Consult an attorney to file your petition.
    Law Office of Evan E. Zelig
    Law Office of Evan E. Zelig | Evan E. Zelig
    Most likely, if it was your very first offense for being under the influence or in possession of methamphetamine, you may have been given a program where when you completed the classes from the court and made all your payments the case was dismissed and never resulted in a conviction. I recommend calling the Clerk of the court for the county where this happened and you can check your court file. The disposition will show whether or not the conviction is showing or whether it was a dismissal.
    No problem. As long as you have successfully completed probation the court will grant you an expungement. There's a packet that you can actually fill out yourself, but it's obviously cleaner and easier if you hire an attorney to help you. Call me if you like, I do them all the time. Good luck.