Can I get a pistol if I received a misdemeanor for petty theft? 6 Answers as of March 02, 2011

If I got a misdemeanor for petty theft in California 7 years ago, can I buy a pistol?

No reason unless it was a condition of your probation and you have not completed probation yet.
You would be a person prohibited from possessing a firearm and ammunition if you are convicted of a felony or Violent Misdemeanor, or it is an express condition of probation, or you are subject to a protective order/ restraining order, or if ever committed to psychiatric institution as being a danger.

If you otherwise qualify for purchase, and there is any remaining doubt, go to a firearms dealer and have them run a non purchase background check on you. If DOJ approves purchase, then you can.
LynchLaw
LynchLaw | Michael Thomas Lynch
While there are certain requirements for obtaining a firearm, what you seem to be asking about is the preclusion of a convicted felony buying a firearm. Whereas a simple misdemeanor conviction for petty theft should not preclude you from owning a firearm.
Yes. Please don't use it to commit a felony as that will disqualify you from ever owning a gun again. Also don't beat up your wife or girlfriend as even if only charged as a misdemeanor that also excludes you from gun ownership for maybe 10 years. But the better question is - why do youwant a gun?