Can I get a new lawyer? 4 Answers as of September 13, 2010

I am in a case involving my 3rd DUI in California. I am very unhappy with the work that my attorney has done so far. What is the best way to find another, actually competent, lawyer? I do not want another like this one.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Nelson & Lawless
Nelson & Lawless | Terry Nelson
By talking to attorneys about your concerns. However, you must have realistic understanding and expectations of what an attorney can do. There are no magic wands to wave to make criminal charges go away. This is not TV. Police and DAs do not take the time and effort to arrest, review reports and file charges unless they feel confident they can get a conviction on the facts available. Understand that your attorney, old or new, cannot do anything more than file appropriate motions if available under the facts, negotiate a plea bargain, or take the case to trial. If you lose at trial, you will be sentenced to the full term under the law. Most cases are settled with a plea bargain, to avoid trial because DAs win something like 95% of their trials. If the case was a loser for them, they would offer a great plea bargain or dismiss the case. Now, if this case is in Southern California and you are serious about getting new counsel, feel free to contact me.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/13/2010
Law Office of Eric Sterkenburg
Law Office of Eric Sterkenburg | Eric Sterkenburg
Contact me and we will review your options and find you the best attorney for your situation. Hopefully that would be me.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/13/2010
Hale Law Group
Hale Law Group | Joshua D. Hale
Talk to attorneys. Ask them questions. Do not fall for sales tactics.

Listen to his words and demeanor. You may be looking at significant jailtime, any attorney that is not telling you that, is probably not an attorney you want representing you.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/10/2010
Click to View More Answers: