Can I get my rights back after a felony conviction? 2 Answers as of May 21, 2012

In 2011 I was convicted of 2nd degree robbery. Im currently on probation and being discharged from military service. I was convicted in Utah and that's where I will live after my discharge. Can I apply to have some of not most restrictions removes after completing Probation?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Alvin Lundgren | Alvin Lundgren
You can eventually apply to have your record 'expunged' bur for a felony it will be at least 4 years after completion of parole.
Answer Applies to: Utah
Replied: 5/21/2012
Benjamin D Gordon, Attorney at Law
Benjamin D Gordon, Attorney at Law | Benjamin D Gordon
There are 2 ways to get your rights back after having been convicted of a felony: expungement or pardon. A pardon may be issued by the Governor. I have never sought one, and don't know on what basis you might be able to get the Governor to do so. Some felony convictions cannot be expunged. For the ones which are eligible for expungement, you start the process by filing an application for certificate of elligibility for expungement with the Utah Bureau of Criminal Identification at least 7 years after having completed your probation. Additionally, if your conviction is a 3rd degree felony, you may be able to seek a "402 reduction" from the court which entered the conviction upon completion of your probation. If granted, that would reduce the grade of your offense to a class A misdemeanor.
Answer Applies to: Utah
Replied: 5/18/2012
Click to View More Answers: