Can I get my repossessed car back? 13 Answers as of July 11, 2013

Car repossessed tonight ā€“ I have an appt w/bankruptcy attorney tomorrow - husband did not inform me how bad things were - can I get my car back

The Northwest Debt Relief Law Firm
The Northwest Debt Relief Law Firm | Thomas A McAvity
If they have not already sold off the vehicle, you can normally get it back through a chapter 13 bankruptcy filing.
Law Offices of John J. Ferry, Jr.
Law Offices of John J. Ferry, Jr. | John J. Ferry, Jr.
Possibly, if you act quickly. Your attorney will need to contact the creditor and probably negotiate a mutually acceptable plan. But a bankruptcy filing after the repo will not be sufficient to require them to return the vehicle.
As you probably know by now... Yes. You can get it back.
Indianapolis Bankruptcy Law Office of Eric C. Lewis | Eric Lewis
Yes, but you will have to get things moving along quickly because once it's sold at auction, it's too late.
Cartwright Law Firm
Cartwright Law Firm | Andrea Cartwight
Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 may be an option to allow you to retrieve your vehicle even after repossession depending of your set of facts. Who repossessed your vehicle? Was it a lease or purchase? If it was the lender or bank, you would need to file a Chapter 13 to get your vehicle back. To qualify for a Chapter 13 you must have regular income coming in the household on a consistent basis. A Chapter 13 bankruptcy is a Plan of Reorganization that allows you to pay back your creditors from 3 - 5 years. A Chapter 13 can protect your property. It is important that you seek legal counsel immediately concerning your rights.
    When your car is repossessed getting it back is still possible, but you will have to pay the repossession charges, storage fees and back payments. Filing bankruptcy under chapter 13 is another possibility. You can propose a payment plan and not have to make up all the overdue payments at once.
    If your case is filed before the vehicle is sold and you file a Chapter 13, you should be able to get the vehicle back.
    Financial Relief Law Center
    Financial Relief Law Center | Mark Alonso
    You may be able to make some kind of arrangement with the creditor to get the car back.
    Bird & VanDyke, Inc.
    Bird & VanDyke, Inc. | David VanDyke
    Maybe if you file quickly.
    Ursula G. Barrios Law
    Ursula G. Barrios Law | Guillermo Machado
    If you pay for it yes. Impound fees, too.
    Ellahie & Farooqui LLP
    Ellahie & Farooqui LLP | Javed Ellahie
    The filing of the bankruptcy stops the bank from selling the car without court permission. In California even without fiing bankruptcy you have the right to get the car back, after paying all delinquencies and repossession related fees, except in some unusual circumstances related to hiding the car. If you file a Chapter 13 plan that takes care of paying the car in accordance with bankruptcy rules, you should be able to get the car back, provided the case is filed before the car is sold.
    There's no way to know in that we don't have even basic financial information. You might, and that's a good reason to be seeing a lawyer.