Can I get my record wiped or sealed by the county? 13 Answers as of November 09, 2010

When I was 16 I was in a dumb situation where I followed my friend into a neighbors house to steal toilette paper for a toilette papering. The neighbor came in the house and found us there. We were charged with trespassing and the misdemeanor is on my record. I now want to get a job but I do not want professional businesses to know about it. Can I have my record wiped by the county?

The Law Offices of Christopher J. McCann
The Law Offices of Christopher J. McCann | Christopher J. McCann
In California, a juvenile is not "convicted" of a crime, unless he or she is charged as an adult. This certainly would not happen in this type of crime. You would have a juvenile "adjudication". Juvenile records cannot be seen by the public. Only in rare instances would this come up, such as job applications with government or law enforcement. Private employers cannot even ask about juvenile adjudications. You can go to the court though after you turn 18 and request that your juvenile record be "sealed" and "destroyed."
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller | Thomas Mueller
If your conviction was in Juvenile Court, it should not appear in any data base. Juvenile records are never public knowledge and the agency or company that discloses that is in violation of the law. Also, it is possible to seal a Juvenile Record by filing the appropriate forms with the JuvenileCourt clerk.

Our office is very experienced in handling these matters. For more information or to be represented, please call.
Wiped? No. However, if this was an offense in Juvenile Court, you may be able to get your record sealed by proper Application and Motion to the court. If so, feel free to contact me.

If this was in adult court, then you can consider getting it expunged. It would help in getting other employment for the rest of your life. Many felony and misdemeanor convictions [not infractions] can sometimes be expunged by proper application and Petition to the court, but only if there was no prison time served or even sentenced, if it was not for certain sex and Domestic Violence crimes, if all terms of sentencing and probation [and at least one year of probation] are completed and finished, and if there are no new charges pending. If successful, the conviction would be retroactively withdrawn and the charges dismissed. That does not remove the conviction, but merely changes the record to show conviction reversed and dismissed by expungement. If expunged, you would be able to say no to conviction on most private employment applications. However, the conviction is still a prior for purposes of repeat offense, and must be disclosed on any application for government and professional licensing, bonding, security clearance, etc. The licensing agency and employer then can decide whether you are barred from licensing and employment because of your conviction. If you are serious about doing so, and you think you qualify, feel free to contact me for the legal help you will need.
Law Office of Marc K. Herbert
Law Office of Marc K. Herbert | Marc K. Herbert
First, there are several types of juvenile probation, some of which allow your record to be automatically sealed at the end of probation. Check any records that you received from the court regarding your case.

If your record was not automatically sealed, you can file a Petition to seal your juvenile record if you are at least 18 years old and have been off juvenile probation for at least 6 months.

When the Petition is filed, the juvenile court will look at your prior juvenile record, your performance on probation and any subsequent adult record. If this information is positive, your Petition will probably be granted by the juvenile court.

If you would like to discuss your case in more detail, please call my office.
First of all, at 16 any "conviction" would have been as a juvenile which is not a criminal "conviction" for reporting purposes on job applications etc. Second, the juvenile probation office will likely assist you in "sealing" this matter although juvenile records are confidential any way unless sought for by a court or law enforcement agency. Only if it is an adult conviction do you really need to be concerned and then there is a procedure to expunge such misdemeanors on which an attorney can advise you.
    It is possible to get ones "juvenile record" sealed. I would be happy to assist you. Call me if you would like a free consultation to speak about what would be involved and what can be accomplished. This can be done very affordably.
    Law Office of Thomas J. Ogas
    Law Office of Thomas J. Ogas | Thomas Ogas
    You can have your juvenile record sealed after you turn 18, so long as you completed your probation successfully. Contact the juvenile probation office for your county and ask about getting the form to "seal your record".
    Steven Mandell
    Steven Mandell | Law Offices of Steven Mandell
    If you are over 18 and if you are off probation from that trespassing thing, you can probably get it sealed, which would prevent anyone from knowing about it for any reason. Only a juvenile record can be sealed. Adult records do not have that right. There is a process that you have to go through in court, and it is probably best to have a lawyer do it for you. The court system, particularly the juvenile court system, is VERY user-UNfriendly. If your matter is in LA County, and if you would like to discuss this with me, feel free to contact me for a free consultation.
    Yes you can since this happened when you were a juvenile and were under 18. You can request your record be sealed by the court.
    Consider hiring an attorney to file a petition for expungement.
    Law Offices of Ramona Hallam
    Law Offices of Ramona Hallam | Ramona Hallam
    In California, yes, you may obtain an expungement of a misdemeanor charge. Chances are most likely that you will not have to reveal the conviction, but they may still find it unless you expunge. The forms are online, or you can have an attorney do the work for you.
    Law Office of William M. Concidine
    Law Office of William M. Concidine | William Concidine
    If you were charged as a juvenile, you may want to look into attempting to seal your record. If as an adult, you may be able to get an expungement. It will not take it off your record completely but looks better for jobs.
    Yes, but you will probably need a lawyer to do it. Take a look at Penal Code Sec. 1203.45. You can just search for "California Penal Code" and you will find it.