Can I get my record sealed for free? 5 Answers as of April 26, 2011

Can I find someone to how will help me get my criminal record sealed for free, because it’s hard to find a job when 80% of employers are doing background checks on their prospective employees.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Clifford Clendenin & O'Hale, LLP
Clifford Clendenin & O'Hale, LLP | Locke T. Clifford
Only a juvenile record can be sealed. Adult convictions are a matter of public record, but there may be certain charges or convictions that you could get expunged. You may want to consult an attorney to find out more about this process.
Answer Applies to: North Carolina
Replied: 4/26/2011
Law Office of Neal L. Weinstein
Law Office of Neal L. Weinstein | Neal L. Weinstein
I am not aware of anyone who will do it for free, and if you are requesting expungement, the governor is the only one who can, and it is extremely rare for that to happen.
Answer Applies to: Maine
Replied: 4/20/2011
Law Offices of Karen Kilpatrick
Law Offices of Karen Kilpatrick | Karen Kilpatrick
You could always check with your local legal aid office. There will always be some costs, even if you find an attorney who can help you pro bono. There is a $75 application fee payable to the FDLE, plus your court costs (which vary from $42 to $91 depending on the county). You will have to get a couple of documents notarized and fingerprint card filled out, which will probably run you about $20. So you're maybe looking at $130-$180 in costs. While my legal fees are $500, I also offer a self-help kit, available for $167, that includes all forms, checklists, letters etc and unlimited email support during the record sealing process. Anything else I can answer for you, please let me know.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 4/18/2011
Attorney Paul Lancia
Attorney Paul Lancia | Paul Lancia
Not unless you do the work yourself.
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 4/18/2011
Edward A. Kroll, Attorney at Law
Edward A. Kroll, Attorney at Law | Edward A. Kroll
If you want a lawyer to help you, you probably need to pay them. However, in most states, expungements are relatively simple and many lawyers can help you for less than $1000. I don't think any lawyers would be willing to work for free.
Answer Applies to: Oregon
Replied: 4/18/2011
Click to View More Answers: