Can I get my pistol permit while on probation? 7 Answers as of January 22, 2013

I just plead guilty to theft of property 3rd and got two years probation but I still want to get my pistol permit when I get my tax money.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Richard Williams
Law Office of Richard Williams | Richard Williams
Normally you are not allowed to own, possess, purchase, sell or pawn a gun while you are on probation. It could be considered a federal violation (felony).
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 1/22/2013
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
You may be able to get your permit, but you cannot possess a gun as a convicted felon. You pled guilty, so you are a convicted felon.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 1/18/2013
Law Office of Brendan M. Kelly
Law Office of Brendan M. Kelly | Brendan M. Kelly
As long as it is a misdemeanor, you should be ok.
Answer Applies to: Nebraska
Replied: 1/18/2013
Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
Talk to your probation officer. Generally, a condition of probation is no weapons. Read your probation order.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 1/17/2013
Rivera Legal Group, PLLC
Rivera Legal Group, PLLC | Victor Rivera
There is no such thing as a pistol permit. Any person who has not been convicted of a felony can own a firearm. Now, if you want to get your Concealed Handgun License, that is a different story. The Concealed Handgun Law sets out the eligibility criteria that must be met. Applicants must be at least 21 years of age (unless active duty military) and must meet Federal qualifications to purchase a handgun. A number of factors may make you ineligible to obtain a license, such as: felony convictions and some misdemeanor convictions, including charges that resulted in probation or deferred adjudication; pending criminal charges; chemical or alcohol dependency; certain types of psychological diagnoses protective or restraining orders, and defaults on state or city taxes, governmental fees, or child support. Eligibility requirements can be found in Government Code section 411.172.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 1/17/2013
Click to View More Answers: