Can I get my mom's citizenship? 8 Answers as of October 17, 2011

I am 18 years old and I am one of five children of an illegal immigrant, my mom. All five of us have citizenship in the United States and she is married to a U.S citizen. How can I ask for her citizenship?

If you want to file a petition for your mom, you will have to be 21 . But you mentioned she is married to a us citizen, you should contact an experienced immigration attorney.
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law | Eric Mark
When you are 21 you can petition, but it will take a while and she may have to leave the country. It is not simple. Your father may have a better chance, but she may still have to leave.
Oltarsh and Associates, PC
Oltarsh and Associates, PC | Jennifer Oltarsh
You must be 21 years old to apply for your mother.
You have to be 21 or older in order to petition for your mother.
Law Office of J Thomas Smith
Law Office of J Thomas Smith | J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.
In order to bestow immigration benefits on a parent you must be 21 years of age. A U.S. citizen spouse can petition for a visa. However, because your mom is an "illegal immigrant," she would have to adjust status in her country of origin. Based on her length of "illegal" stay in the country she may be barred from adjusting status for a period of time, 3 or 10 years. However, she may be eligible for a "waiver." You should consult and experienced immigration attorney for assistance your your case, with its unique issues
    Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law
    Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law | Christian Schmidt
    Your mom may qualify for a green card through her marriage if she either entered the U.S. on a visa or she qualifies for an exemption to the requirement of a legal entry. The exemption applies if someone tried to file for a green card for her before April 30, 2001. You should contact an immigration attorney who evaluates your mom's immigration history.
    Baughman & Wang
    Baughman & Wang | Justin X. Wang
    If she entered the US legally, her husband can file petition for her. If she entered the US illegally, unless she is protected by 245i, she cannot adjust status. If she has been in the US for more than 10 years, she may apply for cancellation. Consult with immigration lawyer for advise.
    When you are 21, you can petition for your mother. Please note, that depending on how she entered the US, any immigration violations and if anything was filed for her before April 30, 2001; she may need to apply for an immigrant visa outside the US with a waiver for the violations.