Can I get my license back if I have 4 DUIs with the last one occurring 10 years ago? 6 Answers as of July 12, 2013

I have DUI's in 85, 87, 93 and 2001. I have an 18 month alcohol school I never took care of from the 93 case and a 6 month from 2001. The DMV office told me 3 weeks ago all I needed was SR22 and enroll in a 3 month alcohol class and I would get my license, so I paid for both. Today I called the DMV and they said that I have to complete the 18 month class and finish it before I could get my license. What can I do to get my license now? I also just completed a self-admit 90 day rehab.

You have a very complicated situation. Without checking the DMV legal office, I am reluctant to answer your question. I do believe that you will have to do the 18 month program since the law is now that 3 convictions in 10 years would warrant it though that was not the law when you got you last DUI. So your case is unique in certain ways. I also believe however that the DMV used to grant restricted licenses during the period in which you were taking the 18 month program. I hate to say it but an attorney might help dealing with the most notorious bureaucracy in the state of California.
You need to talk to the Mandatory Actions Unit in Sacramento they can inform you of what will actually be required to get your license back. More than likely you will have to do the 18 month class as you failed to complete it the first time.
Law Office of Andrew Roberts
Law Office of Andrew Roberts | Andrew Stephen Roberts
You should contact an attorney. It sounds like you have unfinished business with the court.
To get your license back, youll either have to comply with their demand, or get a decision in your favor from an administrative hearing officer at the end of an appeal process. If serious about getting counsel to help you in this, feel free to contact me.
Law Office of Michael Bialys THE DUI MAN
Law Office of Michael Bialys THE DUI MAN | Michael Bialys
You will likely have to take the 18 month class.
    Hale Law Group
    Hale Law Group | Joshua D. Hale
    There are a couple of ways to get it back, but may require help of a lawyer.