Can I get my license back after getting a DUI in North Carolina? 3 Answers as of June 13, 2011

Can I get my license back 5 years after my DUI? Do I have to put the machine in my car? I have three kids to take care of and need my license but I cannot afford the machine.

Clifford Clendenin & O'Hale, LLP
Clifford Clendenin & O'Hale, LLP | Locke T. Clifford
If you blew over a .15 or have priors, it is likely that you will be required to put the ignition interlock on your car because the DMV will agree to reinstate your license. You may want to talk to an attorney about your best options.
RTS Law Group
RTS Law Group | Ryan T. Smith
If you were convicted of DWI in North Carolina and your BAC was .15 or more, then the NC DMV requires you to have an Ignition Interlock System on your car for 1 year. If your BAC was under .15 then you are ok. If it is .15 or more, even if you left NC for a number of years, the NC DMV will not allow you to get a license until you show proof that you have had it on your car for 1 year.
The Olsinski Law Firm, PLLC
The Olsinski Law Firm, PLLC | Justin C. Olsinski
Depending on the case, yes you can. Most DWI convictions result in a 1 year suspension. Whether you will need the device on your car depends on your conviction date and your BAC. The law currently requires the device even for first convictions over .15 BAC. If you have any questions or concerns do not hesitate to contact me.