Can I get my impounded car back without paying for it? 7 Answers as of January 09, 2011

I had my car towed in the beginning of December 2010 for expired registration. I had my license and insurance at the time but still got impounded with a fix it ticket for my tags. Is there anyway to get my car back without having to pay the ridiculous amount the tow company wants? It is already passed what my car is probably worth, being that it is a salvaged vehicle.

Unfortunately, you have a long road ahead of you. The tow company was probably called by the police department. The meter maid saw the expired tags. I do not think that your having already had a fix-it ticket mattered. Your car was on the road with expired tags and the lame parking patrol decided to have it towed. Legally, they are probably on pretty firm ground. You could try a small claims lawsuit. The tow company might settle. You'd probably have to show proof that you'd paid the DMV for your tags.
No. The impound lot gets paid or you do not get the car, regardless of how it got there. Try to negotiate with them but do not expect much. They will sell it if you do not pay.
Goodman, Dicus, and Teinert, LLP
Goodman, Dicus, and Teinert, LLP | Paul M. Teinert
First thing you need to do is take care of the fix-it ticket. Next, you should contact the police agency that impounded your car to obtain a release of impound slip. You should then contact a traffic ticket attorney.
Nope. Say good bye to your car. That's how the police departments make a fortune.
No you will not be able to get it out for free.
    Desert Defenders
    Desert Defenders | John Jimenez
    You must pay the impound fee, as it is allowed by law
    The only way to not pay anything is to request an impound hearing within 48 hours and have the hearing decided in your favor.