Can i get my green card with petit theft, no jail time, no probation? 5 Answers as of December 29, 2010

I was charged by petit theft in May, I was in court, no jail time, no probation. I already applied to get my green card. Can I gualify under petit theft exception?

You are accurate that there is a petty theft exception but whether it applies to you depends on what you were convicted of. Even if you did not serve any jail time it may still apply to you. Feel free to call my office to discuss your case more.
The "petty offense" exemption to inadmissibility applies if the maximum possible sentence for the crime you were convicted of does not exceed 1 year, and if convicted you were sentenced to less than 6 months. It applies only if you have one conviction for a crime involving moral turpitude. In the facts you provide, the petty offense exemption may apply.
Yes, you can still get your green card.
It depends. You need to prepare sufficient argument to establish your moral turpitude. You need a lawyer's help for sure. Good luck!
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
Assuming this is the ONLY criminal matter, you should be fine. If your have two of these, you have a BIG problem. If you forgot something else, it depends on the other type of crime you were convicted.