Can I get my green card when I get married if I was charged with a misdemeanor? 6 Answers as of June 08, 2011

I came to the USA 15 years ago legally. Three years later I was charged and convicted with a misdemeanor. How would I be affected in the process of getting my green card when i get married?

If the misdemeanor was for a crime involving what immigration authorities refer to as "moral turpitude", i.e., lying, cheating, or stealing, you could be placed in removal proceedings and deported.
It will most likely not affect it. Of course, I don't know what the underlying offense was that got you the conviction in the first place. Usually, one misdemeanor does not disqualify you for a green card. Good luck!
It is unlikely to significantly affect your permanent residence; but I would need to know what the exact crime was. Are you marrying a US citizen? If so, you will be forgiven for the long-term visa overstay and unauthorized employment. Please review the attached information and call me to discuss the details and a more specific timeline.
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law | Theresa E. Tilton
Your biggest problem will be that you have many years of unlawful presence in the United States. You need to consult a lawyer.
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law | Eric Mark
It depends what the conviction was for and on other factors. You definitely should not apply for a green card without consulting with an immigration attorney first. If the conviction is a problem, your green card will be denied and you will be placed in removal proceedings. However, a waiver is likely available, if necessary. Call for a free consultation.