Can I get my green card when I get married if I was charged with a misdemeanor? 6 Answers as of June 08, 2011

I came to the USA 15 years ago legally. Three years later I was charged and convicted with a misdemeanor. How would I be affected in the process of getting my green card when i get married?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Michael E. Hendrickson
Law Office of Michael E. Hendrickson | Michael E. Hendrickson
If the misdemeanor was for a crime involving what immigration authorities refer to as "moral turpitude", i.e., lying, cheating, or stealing, you could be placed in removal proceedings and deported.
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 6/8/2011
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
It will most likely not affect it. Of course, I don't know what the underlying offense was that got you the conviction in the first place. Usually, one misdemeanor does not disqualify you for a green card. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/6/2011
Fong & Associates
Fong & Associates | William D. Fong
It is unlikely to significantly affect your permanent residence; but I would need to know what the exact crime was. Are you marrying a US citizen? If so, you will be forgiven for the long-term visa overstay and unauthorized employment. Please review the attached information and call me to discuss the details and a more specific timeline.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 6/6/2011
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law | Theresa E. Tilton
Your biggest problem will be that you have many years of unlawful presence in the United States. You need to consult a lawyer.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 6/2/2011
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law | Eric Mark
It depends what the conviction was for and on other factors. You definitely should not apply for a green card without consulting with an immigration attorney first. If the conviction is a problem, your green card will be denied and you will be placed in removal proceedings. However, a waiver is likely available, if necessary. Call for a free consultation.
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 6/2/2011
Click to View More Answers: