Can I get my failure to Get a Driver's License After Moving charge down to a non-criminal offense? 2 Answers as of July 07, 2011

My DL is from Maryland valid till 2014. I moved to Florida for work about 1 year ago and have a home here. Since I am a consultant (working on a US work visa), I travel for my job. I have been traveling a lot for the last 1 year (almost every month). Mostly International (out of USA). I am not sure when I may have to relocate to a different city/state. Hence did not take FL license. Recently I was driving a rented vehicle to Key West and the officer stopped me for speeding (74 on a 55 mph). I am not sure if I was that fast. He gave me two citations. One for speeding and the other for Florida State Statute 322.031(1) for not having a FL license since I was working here for over 1 year. For the 322.031(1), I am required to appear in a court near Key West (over 300 miles from my place). Had I known about this law, I would have taken my FL license long time ago. Now I have to appear in court. As it appears, I did not comply with this law, what are the penalties (Minimum and Maximum)? I am willing to pay the fine etc. Is there a way to avoid going to court and settle it by paying fine? Will this appear on my record as Criminal offence? If yes, what is the impact? This seems to be a minor traffic violation. I am still surprised that this is considered criminal. Is there any way that this can be converted into a non-criminal offense? Any reference that any of you may have to previous cases (with end result) like this will be greatly appreciated. Please let me know what are my options. Thank you very much for your time... PS: I lived in FL and carried a FL license for 2.5 years before I took my MD license.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Pontrello Law
Pontrello Law | William Pontrello
Best option is to hire a lawyer in key west to get it reduced or dismissed based on your job. its worth it.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 7/7/2011
Michael D. Fluke, P.A.
Michael D. Fluke, P.A. | Michael D. Fluke
Get a Florida Driver's license and hire a local attorney. That attorney may be able to convince the State to reduce the charge to a civil infraction. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 7/7/2011
Click to View More Answers: