Can I get my ex husbands inheritance money if he never disclosed it? 4 Answers as of September 21, 2011

My ex-husbands grandmother died before our divorce was final. She left him 4 million dollars. He did not disclose this. I just found out recently. Do I have a case?

Law Office Of Jody A. Miller
Law Office Of Jody A. Miller | Jody A. Miller
The inheritance is his separate property and is not subject to equitable division. However, you need to see an attorney to determine whether the divorce can be set aside for fraud if he was hiding assets; there is a time limit in which you have to do this, and also it depends on things such as how the Settlement Agreement or court order was written, and whether you engaged in formal discovery.
We recommend you consult with a divorce lawyer, e.g. the divorce lawyer who handled your divorce, about your rights and options. For instance, generally, an inheritance might not count as divisible marital property, but a party's ability to pay might be a factor as to the question of alimony, so you should consult with a lawyer. Good luck.
Meriwether & Tharp LLC
Meriwether & Tharp LLC | Patrick Meriwether
Typically, an inheritance is one's separate property, but it can affect child support and alimony in certain circumstances. I would recommend you at least consult with an attorney.