Can I get my driving without insurance violation dismissed? Is it worth it to hire a traffic violation defense attorney? 2 Answers as of February 10, 2012

I am 20 and I am an international college student at a university. I was convicted of driving without insurance and wrong way on a one way lane. I have an international driver's license with me but without an insurance policy for my car. I had insurance at the time when I was convicted and I wonder if I brought the proof of my insurance to the court and prove that I just forgot to put it in my car, can I get this violation dismissed? To drive a wrong way, I will have to pay the fine and receive 5 to 50 points on my driving record. I received an advertising material of a local traffic violations defense attorney. It said that if I hire an attorney, It may be possible to reduce the charges of the fine and change the moving traffic violation to a violation without points on my driving record or dismissal of the case. I have been back and forth whether should I hire an attorney. Is it worth for for me to do so?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Timothy J. Thill P.C.
Timothy J. Thill P.C. | Timothy J. Thill
If you mean, you have been charged with the offenses, you can probably get the insurance ticket dismissed outright, if you had insurance at the time you were arrested. If you have already been to court, and found guilty of the tickets, (convicted), you can possibly file a motion to vacate the guilty findings and have a new hearing before the court. As in all cases, having counsel is definitely preferable, and will result in a better disposition of the tickets, in all probability.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 2/10/2012
Law Offices of Steven R. Hunter | Steven Hunter
In Cook County, Illinois, the prosecutors will customarily non-suit, or in other words dismiss, a driving without insurance ticket if you bring in proof that you had insurance for the vehicle in question at the time the ticket was issued. This is true even if you do not have an attorney.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 2/9/2012
Click to View More Answers: