Can I get my citizenship from my father who is a citizen but lives abroad? 3 Answers as of June 13, 2011

I am currently on an F-1 status and I am 19. My father got his US citizenship back in 1986, however he is living abroad. I was inquiring if I could stand a chance of also getting my citizenship or permanent residency through him?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Fong & Associates
Fong & Associates | William D. Fong
Yes, but he needs to establish that he lives in the US for the affidavit of support.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 6/13/2011
Lyttle Law Firm, PLLC
Lyttle Law Firm, PLLC | Daniella Lyttle
Yes. This is a possibility. Your father could petition for you or you may already have derivative citizenship. Your specific facts will have to be analyzed by a lawyer.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 6/10/2011
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law | Theresa E. Tilton
Your father was naturalized before you were born, yet he never registered your birth as the birth of an American citizen abroad? At age nineteen, you are just past the deadline to get citizenship by declaration. For you to get permanent residency through your father, he would have to be not just a citizen, but also have a permanent residence in the USA. Please check with a lawyer. If you give more details, there may be a way to work this.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 6/10/2011
Click to View More Answers: