Can I get my car back after it was seized? 6 Answers as of May 09, 2011

How long can they keep my car? It was taken in a drug warrant but nothing was in the car. I'm in California.

Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan
Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan | Geoffrey M. Yaryan
Depends upon the reason it was seized.
It depends and varies. Contact the police and try to negotiate with them to release the car. It is not really evidence at this point based upon the information you provided, since no controlled substances were found in the car.
First try to get it back yourself by going to the police who should give you a note to get it released from the impound lot - but you will have to pay towing and storage which will be really expensive and getting more expensive every day you delay. If you had a lawyer he/she should be able to go before a Judge and get an order requiring them to return the car to you - but you will still have to pay towing and storage. Yes, I know, it is fucked. What else is new when dealing with the pigs.
California Criminal Defense Center
California Criminal Defense Center | Ardalon Fakhimi
If your car was seized as evidence of a crime, then it can be held indefinitely until the criminal matter and or investigation is concluded. More facts are needed. Please contact our office to get the specifics.
You can file a formal written request for return with the police agency involved, and if that is refused, you can file an appropriate motion with the court. If serious about hiring counsel to help you in this, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me.
    The Law Offices of Gabriel Dorman
    The Law Offices of Gabriel Dorman | Gabriel Dorman
    Whether or not you can get your car back from the police ultimately depends on if the car is being held as evidence in the case and/or if it is needed as part of the investigation. Good luck.