Can I get the misdemeanor expunged from my record? 5 Answers as of November 30, 2012

It happened in 2004. I met the wrong people, started doing drugs and stealing. I was working at a store’s jewelry department. I stole jewerly to get my pills. The LP finally caught me on video. I was charged with larceny felony by an employee. I went to court, paid the store back and agreed to not step foot on their property. That was fine by the store. I went to drug rehab, been clean for 8 years now and still clean. The court dropped my charges down from larceny felony by an employee to a misdemeanour. I did 24 hours community service and two years of probation. Will I be able to get this off my record? It has been 8 years and nowadays, if you are trying to find a job and the employer sees that misdemeanour, they will not hire you. I still am kicking myself in the butt for something stupid I did. I lived through my mistakes and I still am.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Law Office of Jared Eisenstat | Jared Eisenstat
You probably cannot get your record expunged, you may be able to file a motion to change your plea and request that the case be dismissed.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/30/2012
Blough Law Office | Janis L. Blough
After 5 years after you completed your sentence, an experienced lawyer can help you petition the court to "expunge" your one and only conviction. If you have more than one conviction, expungement is not available.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 11/29/2012
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
See an attorney, in Michigan convictions can be expunged but I need more details.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 11/29/2012
Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law
Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law | Charles M. Schiff
You have the right to request that the court expunge the record of your conviction. Expungement is discretionary. The court will make an equitable balancing of the effect of the conviction in your life vs the effect on society of allowing you to deny a past conviction. I can only say that it is worthwhile making the effort.
Answer Applies to: Minnesota
Replied: 11/29/2012
Douglas M. Philpott, P.C. | Peter J. Philpott
At least in Michigan you can get the charge expundged if you only have the one conviction, and its been at least five years since your discharge from probation.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 11/29/2012
Click to View More Answers: