Can I get a license to own a gun if I have a felony on my record for theft, which is 12 years old? 10 Answers as of May 22, 2013

I had a burglary in my house 10 months ago and I would like to protect my family should something like this ever happen again.

Palumbo and Kosofsky | Michael Palumbo
No.
Attorney at Law | Michael P. Vollandt
No, not in California.
Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
No, you cannot erase a felony for the purpose of gun ownership.
Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law
Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law | Charles M. Schiff
Licensing is handled through your local police or sheriff's department. That office would be able to tell you whether they would grant a license. If it is determined that it is necessary to have the prior conviction expunged, you know what you need to attempt.
Leonard A. Kaanta, P.C. | Leonard A. Kaanta
You can't. Federal law forbids you to own a firearm.
    Calvert & Hubach | Jenny Hubach
    Not until you deal your record.
    As a convicted felon, there is a Michigan provision which prohibits your possession of a firearm. If this is the only conviction you have on your record, then I would suggest an expungement. This may assist in getting a purchase permit. It does not change that you are a convicted felon, but it helps push things in the direction of ability to own. There is also a provision in Michigan law for a convicted felon to own a rifle for hunting purposes. This procedure would need to be followed so that you have a Court Order. It is not a handgun, and it is not a CCW. These are different concerns. My view is that if you own a shotgun for hunting purposes, this could also be something for home defense. However, keep in mind that any firearm which may be allowed is for hunting purposes, so an AK 47 is not a weapon used for hunting. A shotgun is often use for hunting with slugs for deer, or with shot for pheasant, duck, squirrel, etc. I hope that this was helpful.
    Douglas M. Philpott, P.C. | Peter J. Philpott
    No.
    The Barrister Firm
    The Barrister Firm | Christopher Benjamin
    Simply put, NO; unless you've had your rights restored (must include gun rights as well). This is the answer if you have a felony conviction.
    You will have to get the felony expunged before you possess a weapon. You should seek counsel with the details of your situation.