Can I get a license in Alabama if I have a misdemeanor warrant in Mississippi? 1 Answers as of June 24, 2013

I'm going through a custody war with my ex-husband who lives in MS. He went and filed charges for phone harassment against me and now I have a warrant in MS. I live in AL and my MS drivers license has expired so I need to get a new AL license. I am wondering if they will arrest me if I go to get a license in AL for that stupid warrant. I'm just waiting to turn myself in until I save up the money to bail out. So, what about if I go to the AL DMV and tell them I've never had a drivers license before? Would they know anything about me then? Please help! I need to get a license. Oh, and what about an ID card, do the same rules apply? Thanks so much!

Law Office of Patrick Mahaney
Law Office of Patrick Mahaney | Patrick Mahaney
Yes, you can obtain a valid Alabama driver license if another state holds a misdemeanor warrant. However, you cannot obtain am Alabama driver license if your previous state's driver license is suspended or revoked. See, Code of Alabama, 1975, section 32-6-7. The Alabama Department of Public Safety is responsible for issuing both driver licenses and non-driver ID cards. Your name and information will be run through the NCIC system to determine if you are a fugitive from justice or wanted by another state. In the case of a misdemeanor, you will not be arrested, but told that an active warrant is in existence.