Can I get a job as a paralegal if I am an immigrant? 6 Answers as of August 22, 2011

I did high school from Africa and now am in college doing my general classes, I want to study paralegal but everyone tells me I will never get such jobs in America and that I should take a course in the medical field. I have never liked working in a hospital. What do I do?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
My suggestion is to take classes in lots of different areas until you find something you like. Yes there are jobs in the paralegal field and jobs in the medical field. Talk to the career counselor at your college and they can help you focus.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/22/2011
The Jarrett Firm, LLC
The Jarrett Firm, LLC | Patrick Jarrett
Do not listen to what these people tell you. You can study anything you wish to study and if you enjoy paralegal work and your grades are good enough, you could go to law school and be a lawyer. I know many lawyers who are immigrants. Follow your heart and never let anyone tell you something is not possible. Welcome to America. Best wishes.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 8/14/2011
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Reza Athari
If you are authorized to work in the US, there is no restrictions to work for private entities. There may be some restrictions in working for government in some positions if you are not a US citizen.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 8/13/2011
Fong & Associates
Fong & Associates | William D. Fong
Yes, you can take any job for which you are qualified. There are minimal restrictions for employment of permanent residents, mostly related to sensitive government positions.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 8/13/2011
441 Legal Group, Inc.
441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
The answer to your question is yes you can.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 8/12/2011
    Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law
    Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law | Christian Schmidt
    You are not likely to qualify for status under a visa category that allows you to work as a paralegal because the position does not necessarily require a four year college degree. You may consider studies towards a position that commonly requires such a degree to be certain to qualify for a status that allows you to work in the U.S.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 8/12/2011
Click to View More Answers: