Can I get jail time after I used my cousin’s birth certificate to get a driving license when I was 17? 4 Answers as of August 17, 2013

Now I’m 27 years old. I renewed my license and they put a hold on my license. At the age of 17, I was illegal in this country. Now I am a US citizen. I don’t owe anything under his name or mine.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
Yes, because it is identify theft and forgery.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 8/17/2013
Gregory Casale Attorney at Law
Gregory Casale Attorney at Law | Gregory Casale
I have represented several people who did something like this. They either made up a name or used someone else's name to get a driver's license while they were illegal in this country. Then later, after gaining legal status, applied for and received a valid license. Facial recognition software kicks out the two licenses and a summons is issued for the person to come to Boston to the Federal building to deal with this. Although this is a very serious issue and serious consequences are possible. All situations I have defended were either dismissed or in one case a license suspension was imposed. In that case, we appealed and got his license back. Hire a lawyer to straighten this out. You do not want to be confused with people who are forging fake identities for far more egregious reasons.
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 8/17/2013
Law Office of James E. Smith
Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
Probation more likely.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 8/17/2013
Law Office of Brendan M. Kelly
Law Office of Brendan M. Kelly | Brendan M. Kelly
May want to get an Attorney to clear up any hold, but you should be ok.
Answer Applies to: Nebraska
Replied: 8/17/2013
Click to View More Answers: