Can I get into USA with a conviction? 4 Answers as of April 08, 2011

As a 19 year old a good friend was convicted of manslaughter (self defense). He is now 47 a good man and has had no further incidents. He served 4 years in prison for the conviction. He is looking to conduct some business in the US which should take between 2 - 4 weeks. Any advice regarding this issue would be appreciated. We are from NZ.

That is up to US Immigration, contact the local US consulate and ask them for help. Yes, a criminal record is one basis for barring entry.
I am assuming that your friend fulfilled any terms of parole/probation. I would hate to mislead you with an answer that may not be correct. I would recommend consulting with an immigration attorney who may be better able to answer this question.
He should contact the US embassy in NZ or the nearest US Consulate. If that contact is not fruitful, contact an immigration attorney.
Robert Mortland
Robert Mortland | Law Office of Robert Mortland
Most likely, this will not bar him from entering the United States. However, clearing customs is going to be a bit more difficult.