Can I get in trouble for Marijuana found in my friends car if he confesses the marijuana is his? 4 Answers as of June 08, 2011

The amount of marijuana found was under an ounce and it was not mine, it was my friend's. We were both in his car. If my friend admits that it was his, can I still get in trouble?

Giannini Law Office, PC
Giannini Law Office, PC | Robert Giannini
Were you arrested for the marijuana? If the answer to that question is yes, then the answer to your question is that you are already in trouble. It is possible for more than one person to be in possession of the same bit of marijuana. This is called "joint" possession (no joke intended). It is possible the prosecuting attorney might dismiss the charge against you if your friend admits it was his. But the prosecutor might also ask your friend if you knew about the marijuana and whether you consumed any of it (or were planning to). By the way, a conviction for possession of marijuana will suspend your drivers license in many states (including Georgia). I think you might want to consult with a criminal defense lawyer in your area, just in case this whole plan for your pot-smoking friend to get you out of trouble doesn't quite work out.
Law Office of Michael Moody
Law Office of Michael Moody | Michael Moody
If the state believes that you shared constructive possession with your friend, i.e., that you knew the marijuana was there and had immediate access to it, then yes, they can charge you too. However, if your friend claims it was his and you didn't know anything about it, then the state probably won't charge you.
Your question did not indicate as to whether or not you have been charged. The simple answer is that you should see a criminal attorney, as soon as possible, because, yes, it is possible that you could be charged and/or tried. Also, it is possible that your friend might change their story. So, I urge you to consult with a criminal lawyer ASAP! Good luck!
Healan Law Offices
Healan Law Offices | William D. Healan, III
It would certainly help if your friend claimed the marijuana. You could still get in trouble because the judge/jury/prosecutor might not necessarily believe your friend, but it would definitely be a step in the right direction if your friend claimed it.