Can I get in trouble at school for something on Instagram? 8 Answers as of October 08, 2013

I posted a note that his ex girlfriend gave me and t said "RIP Peyton's balls off and feed them to your dog so him and can't have babies" my best friend found it hilarious his girlfriend did not. She told her cheer coach and now I might get suspended and kicked off my football team is this right?

The Law Office of Nadia Lataillade, Esq.
The Law Office of Nadia Lataillade, Esq. | Nadia Lataillade, Esq.
Yes. You can definitely get in trouble at school. It sounds like you are a minor. Remember that minors do not have rights like adults. Although people do have 1st Amendment rights to free speech, you do not have the right to harass someone or to post obscene things about them. Additionally, schools, especially private schools, have rules and regulations that you must abide by or suffer the consequences. As an aside, when making fun of someone, be it malicious or as a joke, NEVER write it down. You're nailing your own coffin. Additionally, keep in mind that especially as a minor, sexual offenses are a serious matter. Posting pictures of other minor's genitalia, etc., can amount to distribution of child pornography and get you not only prosecuted as an adult, but leave you as a registered sex offender for the REST OF YOUR LIFE. It sounds to me like you should take the consequence your school has given you as a blessing and learn from your mistakes. Stop posting obscene posts that hurt others and can ultimately ruin your life. Be smart, and when your not, don't post/write it.
You can get into trouble. Get off FB, Instagram and the rest of this nonsense.
Can you get in trouble for posting a rude, crude, abusive comment? Yes, you can. This is a classic example of on-line bullying. It's not funny and it's not harmless. Time for you to grow up and take responsibility for what you did. Apologizing to Peyton would be a good place to start. A little break from playing football will give you the opportunity to examine your behavior and learn from this experience.
They can regulate out of school conduct if it causes a disruption at school or otherwise interferes with the in-school environment.
You are making threats to do physical and serious damage to another student.? Of course this is serious.
    Lawyer for Indie Media
    Lawyer for Indie Media | Sue Basko
    Remove this stuff off Instagram immediately. Say you are sorry. Violent or sexual threats or content posted online by students is likely to be taken very seriously these days. Don't make the situation worse by arguing with the girl or anyone. If you have a family lawyer or someone in your family who seems organized and professional, ask them to help you. In the meantime, keep quiet and don't answer any questions other than to say it has been removed and you are sorry.
    Bay Oak Law
    Bay Oak Law | Andrew K Jacobson
    The quick answer is, yes, you can. By forwarding on the message, you could be seen as having endorsed an act of violence. With the violence so common in our society, school can show little tolerance for messages like these. It may seem funny, but if someone takes the next step, people could come down on you very hard, indeed. You need to take responsibility for your actions; you should know that passing on messages like this can get you into trouble you want to avoid. Work with the school to determine what is the best course, and show true contrition. Don't act like the only thing you regret is getting caught. This will pass, and I hope that you will learn the vital need to be very careful about what you do and say online. Test everything by this question: if your grandmother/grandfather/mother/father/pastor finds out about it, would you have to hand your head? If so, then don't do it.