Can I get in legal trouble by a prank? 6 Answers as of August 01, 2013

I have a former roommate who I want to pull a prank on by putting up flyers of him with an embarrassing photo. No personal information except his first name and where he works. It would say something along the lines of "missing drunk. Please return to bar". Pretty simple. We are not on the best of terms and I'm curious if he could get me in trouble with the law. I know it sounds petty, but this guy has pissed me off so many times and owes me over 600 which he refuses to pay back. Is there any way I can do this without getting in trouble?

So, it is not a prank, it is a dick move, motivated by your not being on good terms.
Leonard J. Levenson Attorney At Law | Leonard J. Levenson
I can't think of any criminal statute that you would be violating. It might depend on where you put up the sign. For example you might be charged with defacing public property if you put it on a public building. Otherwise I see no problem.
You could get sued for libel and slander. Do not do this. Just sue him in small claims court for the money.
You could end up in trouble. Why don't you just sue him in small claims court?
ROBERT HAMBRICK Clearwater Criminal Defense Attorney
ROBERT HAMBRICK Clearwater Criminal Defense Attorney | ROBERT HAMBRICK
Yes, you could be arrested for the prank assuming that law enforcement could pin it on you. Putting flyers up that depict him without his permission could be viewed as an invasion of his privacy and could be charged as a misdemeanor under Florida law punishable by up to a year in jail. Also, he could sue you for defamation as putting the flyers up would be viewed in the same way as publishing them.
    You cannot do that, unless you want some serious trouble, assuming someone knows of your prank and word gets back to the "victim". Why not file a claim in the Court of Small Claims against him? Do this legally, even ask the judge there for costs and lost time from work in pursuing this civil suit.