Can I get immigration papers without my husband's help? 2 Answers as of May 27, 2011

My marriage is not working and my husband currently lives with another woman. I am so scared and alone. I am running low on funds. Please let me know what I can do to get my immigration papers without his help. Will I be able to get the papers if I want to leave him? Thanks

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
You may be able to do it, but I will need more information about your status, how far in the process of "getting your papers" you are; the history of your relationship; whether he is a USC or LPR; how long you've been married; if you have children together; your immigration history, etc. It sounds to me like it may be possible but more need to be known. Try again. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/27/2011
Law Office of Christine Troy
Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
Each city has a pro bono or low fee panel. You may want to call them, via the state bar, to have a full appointment with a competent immigration attorney. I believe Catholic Charities also has free consults. You will want to present the full facts of your case to see if you qualify for VAWA- if he physically or emotionally abused you, you may qualify to file on your own. You may also be able to use a U visa, if you were ever the victim of a crime and helped the police. You may be eligible for asylum.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/27/2011
Click to View More Answers: