Can I get help with bills if I was injured at a friend's house? 37 Answers as of July 09, 2013

I was at my friend's house and was playing with his dog when I tripped and fell breaking my wrist in 2 places. I had to have surgery on it. I have physical therapy on 3 times a week. My question is is there anything I can do to help pay the bills?

A. Daniel Woska & Associates, P.C.
A. Daniel Woska & Associates, P.C. | Dan Woska
In a situation involving a friend you need to hire a contingent fee lawyer and arrange a meeting with your friend and his lawyer.
Find out if there is a medical payments provision of his homeowners insurance policy. The insurance people call this "med-pay". It is not required, but if he has that coverage, they will pay for medical expenses (usually with a very small limit) regardless of fault.
The Torkzadeh Law Firm
The Torkzadeh Law Firm | Reza Torkzadeh
The short answer is yes. However, I will need more facts about the case to determine what the appropriate steps you should take. There are many instances where you can recover for injuries sustained at a friend or relatives home. I suggest you immediately speak with an attorney who can properly examine the circumstances surrounding your case.
E. Ray Critchett, LLC
E. Ray Critchett, LLC | Ray Critchett
If your friend has a home owner's insurance policy and/or a renter's insurance policy, it may have a provision for medical payments coverage which would help you. The best part of medical payments coverage is that it applies regardless of who was at fault.
The Law Office of Eric R. Chandler, P.C., L.L.O.
The Law Office of Eric R. Chandler, P.C., L.L.O. | Eric R. Chandler
There is a good chance your friend's homeowner's insurance policy has a no-fault provision allowing a certain amount of money for medical bills. In English, this means you might have access to $5K or so to put towards medical bills regardless of whether the fall was your fault or not. Give you friend's insurance company a call to find out. If the accident was not your fault, and the dog or some other hazard caused you to fall, then you should probably speak to a lawyer before contacting the insurance company.
    Patrick M Lamar Attorney
    Patrick M Lamar Attorney | Patrick M Lamar
    Probably not very much. I would check and see if my friend has a medical pay portion on his homeowner's policy.
    If your friend did nothing wrong, why would you expect him to pay your bills? If he has medical payments coverage on his home perhaps your bills can be paid to the extent of the coverage
    does your friend own the home or just renting? If he had homeowners insurance, find out the name of the company or his agent and contact them to file a claim. Otherwise, you will have to sue the homeowner.
    Law Offices of Earl K. Straight
    Law Offices of Earl K. Straight | Earl K. Straight
    You can make a claim against your friends homeowners insurance, but youll need to prove that the fall was your friends fault. If you cant prove that the insurance company will deny your claim.
    In most cases the homeowner's insurance on your friend's house will have medical payments coverage which will cover you for medical bills up to the medpay coverage limit (frequently $5,000). If you had surgery, chances are that the med pay coverage won't pay all the bills, but if you tripped over the dog because it ran in front of you, then the homeowner's insurance may pay the rest under the liability portion of the policy. If you tripped and fell simply because you were a klutz (forgive me!) and not because the dog did something unexpected, then you're probably limited to the medical payments coverage...
    Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator
    Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator | Bernard Huff
    Inquire with your friend as to whether his homeowner's insurance policy will cover at least some of your expenses for your injuries.
    Law Office of Mark J. Leonardo
    Law Office of Mark J. Leonardo | Mark Leonardo
    If your friend has a homeowners policy, it might have a med-pay provision that pays for medical expenses regardless of fault up to the limit covered by that provision (usually $5,000, sometimes more). It does not sound like your friend was negligent, so you cannot sue for damages. The med-pay is your best bet.
    R. D. Kelly Law Firm, P.L.L.C.
    R. D. Kelly Law Firm, P.L.L.C. | Robert Kelly
    A social guest may have a cause of action at civil law where the property owner knew of a dangerous condition on the property and the possessor can reasonably anticipate the social guest wither will not discover the condition or will not realize the risks that the known dangerous risk poses.
    Coulter's Law
    Coulter's Law | Coulter K. Richardson
    It might be a "covered event" under your friend's homeowner's insurance policy. Explain your situation to your friend and perhaps file a claim on his/her policy. It need not always have to rise to the level of negligence to be covered.
    My first question would be what caused you to fall? Is there a basis for a lawsuit? Also, some homeowner's policies pay a limited amount of medical bills, but your friend glues got to notify his company about the accident.
    LT Pepper Law
    LT Pepper Law | Luke T. Pepper
    It appears to be an accident. Since it does not appear to be caused by the negligence of the homeowner there is no recourse.
    Maybe- you would need to check with the friends homeowners insurance to see if they have med pay coverage. Most do.
    The Law Firm of Reed & Mansfield
    The Law Firm of Reed & Mansfield | Jonathan C. Reed
    In the absence of a claim that your friend was negligent, you can ask your friend if he owns the house or has renter's insurance. If so, the policy may have a small amount of no-fault med pay coverage.
    Law Office of Ronald Arthur Lowry
    Law Office of Ronald Arthur Lowry | Ronald Arthur Lowry
    Many people have homeowner's policies on their residences that also contain a medical payments ("med-pay") coverage that pays for medical bills incurred on the property regardless of fault. A claim against this coverage should not make your friend's premiums go up either as it is not a liability claim. Ask your friend to check his declarations page of his homeowner's policy to see if he has that coverage and ask him for the name and contact info for his insurance if he does. Be sure to tell him what you need that info for so he won't think you are suing him. Good luck.
    Craig Kelley & Faultless
    Craig Kelley & Faultless | David W. Craig
    Some homeowner insurance policies or renters insurance have medical payment coverage. Usually this is only a few thousand dollars but it varies from company to company. If your friend has homeowner's or renters insurance with this type of coverage then it will pay for your medical bills up to the limits of coverage. Under medical payment coverage it doesn't matter who is at fault. Again this is usually not much money but it might help. If you have health insurance you should turn your bills into them. In order to get more than the medical payment coverage you would have to show that your friend was negligent. If the fall was your fault or your friend did nothing unreasonable that caused you to fall then you are out of luck.
    The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC
    The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC | Stephen R. Chesley
    Whether you can request that your bills and expenses be paid depends on how the incident occurred. A big concern is how you injured yourself . Under what circumstances did you fall and whose fault i If you would like to discuss this matter further.
    Garruto & Calabria, LLC
    Garruto & Calabria, LLC | Andrew F. Garruto
    Your friend may have a medical payment provision on his homeowners/rental insurance policy. If so, you would be entitled to make a claim to have your medical bills reimbursed. There are time limits in which these "med pay" claims are accepted that are enforced at times, so I wouldn't hesitate to look into whether or not this coverage exists for you.
    Law Offices of Steven A. Fink
    Law Offices of Steven A. Fink | Steven Alan Fink
    Short of suing your friend, no. Even if you sued, I am not sure your friend has any liability and you could end the friendship.
    Lyle B. Masnikoff and Associates
    Lyle B. Masnikoff and Associates | Lyle B. Masnikoff
    Maybe, under the home owners policy. Call a personal injury attorney.
    Pivotal Law Group, PLLC
    Pivotal Law Group, PLLC | Christopher L. Thayer
    If the property owner has homeowner's insurance, there is often a "medical pay" provision that will pay for medical expenses (up to a certain limit) for anyone hurt on the property - regardless of fault. If there was some negligence by the property owner, or some dangerous condition that caused you to fall, then you may have other options and should talk to an attorney.
    Law Office of Russell D. Gray, PC
    Law Office of Russell D. Gray, PC | Russell D. Gray
    If your friend was negligent, and the negligence caused your injury, you might be able to recover some money for bills. If the dog caused the injury, you might be able to recover. If it was an accident and you can't prove any wrongdoing on your friend's part, you're probably not going to recover any money.
    Law Offices of Richard Copeland, LLC
    Law Offices of Richard Copeland, LLC | Richard Copeland
    Your friend should have either homeowner's insurance or renter's insurance. Either type of policy may provide medical payment coverage that can be of some benefit to you. The amount is normally limited to $5,000 or $10,000, but can run higher. It doesn't sound like anyone was at fault, but if your fall was due to an unreasonably dangerous condition of the premises, you can make a claim based on that dangerous condition if your friend has insurance.
    Ewusiak & Roberts, P.A.
    Ewusiak & Roberts, P.A. | Christopher J. Roberts
    Property owners are generally only responsible for injuries on their premises caused by dangerous/hazardous conditions and/or negligence of the property owner. It is possible your friend's homeowner's insurance covers medical expenses even without fault. If he had insurance, you should request a copy and have a lawyer take a look. If you think the injury was caused by a dangerous condition, you may have a case.
    David Hoines Law
    David Hoines Law | David Hoines
    If your friend has homeowner's insurance with medical pay benefits this will cover to extent of insurance ask your friend.
    Sargent Law Firm
    Sargent Law Firm | Ryan Sargent
    It depends on how you fell. To prevail on a slip and fall case you have to prove that there was a dangerous condition on the premises. More detailed facts are needed to evaluate whether or not you have a valid action for the slip and fall. You don't necessarily have to sue your friend to obtain help in paying your medical bills. If he has insurance, a personal injury attorney could submit a claim and possibly settle your case without filing a lawsuit. My law firm specializes in slip and fall cases.
    Your friend should contact their home owners insurance.
    Ramunno & Ramunno, P.A.
    Ramunno & Ramunno, P.A. | Lawrence A. Ramunno
    The owner of the home may have insurance that has what is called med-pay to help pay medical expenses.
    Answer Applies to: Delaware
    Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm
    Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm | Thomas Bulman
    If you didn't have health insurance, ask your friend if he has renter's or homeowner's insurance. If he was careless somehow and that caused you to fall, you could make a claim against his insurance company. If you fell because you are clumsy, no claim seems viable. You will have to pay for your medical expenses.
    Answer Applies to: Montana
12 3 4 5 6 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney