Can I get help on my possession charge? 1 Answers as of April 18, 2011

I was recently arrested for possession of marijuana, I was with a friend he was giving me a ride home. We were stopped because my friend parked awkwardly in front of his house. The cop said he smelled something and my friend instantly gave him the marijuana. We were brought into the police station and questioned about the marijuana without being read our rights. Does that cop have to read us our rights? and also It was my friends truck, he told the cop it was his marijuana which it was and I was still charged. Should I have been charged.

You can be charged with the possession charge, as with any other charge the police wish to press. The issue is,will the charges stick. From what you tell me, you will probably have the charges dropped once you get to court. The officer should read you your rights, but this becomes an issue only if you made an admission or confession to the crime. In this case, it certainly does not sound like you made any confession, so I would not worry very much about it. Go to court, and see if the prosecution is going to drop the charges, I believe they will, if what you have written in your question is the truth.