Can I get healthcare and a divorce? 10 Answers as of June 23, 2015

My husband of 13 years has filed for divorce. I am a stay at home mom with a 5 and 3 year old. I am currently undergoing treatment for benign tumors and am unable to work. Is it possible to get my soon to be ex to pay for my attorney, child/spousal support and my medical coverage?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
You can ask that health insurance for you stay in place until the divorce is final. After that it can't. You can sign up under the ACA immediately given that a divorce has been filed. Each of you is responsible for a share of child support. You have to ask the court for spousal support and attorney's fees and the court will have to determine if it's appropriate. You have to have a need and he has to have the ability to pay. Make a motion for temporary orders asap to address all of the issues.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 6/23/2015
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
It is possible. But your best chance of achieving your goals (or rather, your needs) is to retain an experienced family law attorney who knows how to gather and present evidence, and how to negotiate with adverse parties. Good Luck.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 6/23/2015
Law Offices of Robert Burns
Law Offices of Robert Burns | Robert Burns
Yes. You also are required to get "Obamacare"; husband may have to pay some/all of the premium after divorce.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/23/2015
Peyton and Associates | Barbara Peyton
You should be eligible for at least temporary spousal support but the court will want you to start seeking work. Benign tumors are not a reason to not go to work. If you are otherwise able bodied, the court will order you to seek work - at least part time. You may get some help with attorney fees. These things are all based on how much money the other spouse makes and how far it will stretch between two households. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/23/2015
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
All of this is possible.. but you really need to hire an attorney to get a more definite answer.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 6/23/2015
    Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock
    Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock | Arlene D. Kock
    Your spouse should continue to maintain you and the children on any healthcare through his employment or other existing resources until the point that your marriage is terminated. At the termination point, he should continue to cover the children but you will have to have your own health care through COBRA or another resource.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 6/23/2015
    Law Office of Martin A. Kahan | Martin A. Kahan
    Yes. You have to make those requests in your responsive documents.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 6/23/2015
    Law Office of Robert E McCall | Robert McCall
    Anything is possible but how likely it is depends on the personalities involved. You know the husband better than anyone else at this point.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 6/23/2015
    Diane l. Berger | Diane L. Berger
    You are sure to get child support. I don't know the specifics but if would sound like a good chance for alimony. In Nebraska if there is currently health insurance he would be required to maintain it at least during the 6 month interlocutory period.
    Answer Applies to: Nebraska
    Replied: 6/23/2015
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller | Jody A. Miller
    It is possible. But this isn't a question that can be answered in this forum beyond this very general answer. You really need to have a detailed in person consultation with a family law attorney to discuss the facts of your case and the law that might apply.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 6/23/2015
Click to View More Answers: