Can I get a handgun license after being off parole for 20 years? 7 Answers as of July 22, 2014

I have been off paper for 20 plus years and would like to get a hand gun license, and I would like to know if this is possible?

Possibly. You have to get your gun rights restored first.
Elhart & Horvath, P.C.
Elhart & Horvath, P.C. | Mattias Johnson
It depends on what your original charge was to some degree. For most felony offenses, in Michigan, you must wait 3 years after completing your parole before you can apply for a firearm license. However, under federal law, any person convicted of an offense for which the maximum penalty, whether or not imposed, is imprisonment in excess of one year (a felony or a misdemeanor carrying a maximum penalty in excess of one year) if prohibited from carrying a firearm. What constitutes a conviction is determined by the laws of the jurisdiction in which the proceedings were held (state or federal). The prohibition does not apply if the conviction has been expunged or set aside or if the person has been pardoned or has had civil rights restored, unless the expungement, pardon or restoration expressly provides that the person may not ship, transport, possess or receive firearms. If this was your only criminal offense after 5 years from completing your probation, etc you may be eligible for expungement. Thus, your best move may be to seek expungement if possible. Otherwise, while you may be able to have your rights restored under state law, you would still be in violation of federal statute.
Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
If you were convicted of a felony or violent crime you cannot get a hand Gun. Never.
Are you a convicted felon?
Michael J. Harris, Attorney at Law
Michael J. Harris, Attorney at Law | Michael Harris
Unless you get your case sealed or get a pardon, you can never have a gun for the rest of your life.
    If your conviction resulted in a loss of your right to possess a firearm... that restriction is lifetime, unless you petition the court and the court restores this right. There is no automatic restoration, even if you have completed all of your other obligations.
    If you have a felony or DV conviction, you cannot get a firearm until you have expunged your record.