Can I get a greencard through my mother if she obtains one? 7 Answers as of January 27, 2011

My mom's sister is an American citizen. Can my mother get a green card from her? Furthermore, when my mom has a green card, can I get one through her?

Yes, your mother's sister could sponsor her for a greencard and if and when she gets one, she could then sponsor you for the same.
Hugo Florido ESQ.
Hugo Florido ESQ. | Hugo Florido
You may qualify if you were a minor at the time of the initial petition. See the child protection act.
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office | Jack C. Sung
Your mother can get a green card from her US citizen sister if she petitions for your mother. After your mother gets the green card, she can then petition for you. I assume that you are already above 21 as of now so getting it at the same time with her would be unlikely.
You mother's sister can petition her, and if you are unmarried and under 21 years old you would be a derivative beneficiary. The process takes 8-18 years for your mother's category depending on what country she is from. If you are over 21 at that time, they you have to determine if the Child Status Protection Act would apply to you.
You qualify as a derivative on your mother's case if you are under 21 and unmarried. In some case you can be over 21 if your age calculates to under 21 under the Child Status Protection Act. If not once your Mom becomes a permanent resident and later a citizen she can petition for you.
    Yes, but be aware that your mom will probably have to wait for 10 + years!
    Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law
    Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law | Theresa E. Tilton
    Your US citizen aunt can petition for your mother to get a green card. If your mother passes the background investigation, she will very likely be approved for immigration. The visa may take a few years of waiting, since a sister of a US citizen is not in the first preference.

Once you mother has a green card, yes she can petition for you. Your wait will depend on your age, your marital status, and your country of origin.