Can I get a green card or citizenship if I am adopted by a US Citizen? 3 Answers as of July 15, 2011

I am 20 and am a f-1 visa holder for over 4 years now. i have been adopted by a US citizen when I was 17. I received a certificate of foreign birth and a social security number. Am I eligible for citizenship? Can I get a green card?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Baoqin Wang
Law Office of Baoqin Wang | Baoqin Wang
For immigration purpose, the adoption must be complete before the child's 16th birthday. Unless you have another sibling adopted by the same family.
Answer Applies to: Oregon
Replied: 7/15/2011
Fong & Associates
Fong & Associates | William D. Fong
No, you are not eligible for permanent residence (green card) or citizenship through your US citizen parents, as the adoption took place after the age of 16.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 7/15/2011
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Reza Athari
No, adoption has to be completed prior to age 16. To explore your options, come and see me in person.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 7/14/2011
Click to View More Answers: