Can I get a green card if I have married a US citizen but work in another state? 8 Answers as of December 20, 2010

Can I get a green card if I have married a US citizen but work in another state?

The answer to that is maybe, but probably yes. The issue is, since you are wanting to obtain a green card, but are already in the U.S., I would need to know whether you are presently here on a legal work visa. If not, then the issue is more uncertain, since you are here illegally. To know more, I would need to meet with you, in an in-person or by-phone consultation. Please contact me, by phone or e-mail, to set an appointment to consult about your case. Best to you.
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office | Jack C. Sung
Yes, if you marry a United States Citizen, there would be no problem with you working in another state as long as you enter the United States on a Visa and not illegally.
Naziri Hanassab LLP
Naziri Hanassab LLP | Vahid Naziri
U.S. Citizen in the United States with a Foreign National Spouse who entered the U.S. legally with a visa or a visa waiver can file the following with USCIS to obtain a green card for spouse when the spouse is in United States:

1. Petition for Alien Relative (USCIS Form I-130)
2. Application to Register Permanent Residence (USCIS Form I-485)
3. Biographic Information (USCIS Form G-325A)
4. Affidavit of Support (USCIS Form I-864)
5. Permission for Work Authorization (Optional) (USCIS Form I-765)
6. Medical Examination Results (USCIS Form I-693)
7. Request for Travel Documents (Optional) (USCIS Form I-131)
8. The appropriate supporting documents
9. The USCIS filing fees ($1,010 to $1,365).

The USCIS will contact you first regarding the Biometrics / Fingerprinting Appointment. The USCIS will then issue the work authorization and permission to travel approximately 90 days after filing. The USCIS will contact you next to schedule an interview. This will be anywhere from 6 months to 9 months after filing the initial application. Following a successful interview, the foreign national spouse will receive a stamp classifying him/her as a Conditional Permanent Resident. USCIS will mail the Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) approx 4-8 weeks after the successful interview.
441 Legal Group, Inc.
441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
Yes it is possible.
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
The question is: How will the USCIS believes you have a real marriage if you work in another state? If the only job you can get is in another state, make sure to take your spouse with you. In order to get your green card, you must demonstrate things such as joint residence and joint documentation. (Joint taxes, health insurance, rental agreement, etc...). The USCIS wants to make sure you got married for the right reason (Building a life TOGETHER with our American spouse).